Sunday, April 18, 2010

Galley Prints read

I haven't really posted on any books like I originally intended so today I thought I would.  I have recently read a few "galley prints".  These are books that haven't been published yet.  A few were through loan via netgalley.com and a few are directly from the publisher.  So below is my very brief opinion on each.  They are in no particular order.

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce
Loved it but I love fairy tales being retold.  This is Little Red Riding Hood with a Happy ending.  I think teens will like it and it flows really well.

The Bad Queen by Carolyn Meyer
Liked it.  It is about Mary Antoinette, a hard subject for me to get into.  Although I did not walk away liking the main character I did understand her motivation and personality better. Worth reading.

Jessica's Guide to Dating by Beth Fantaskey  this was a lot of fun.  A better and more satisfying vampire book than Twilight.  Not dissing Twilight but this was a bit more meaty :)

The Secret to Lying by Todd Mitchell
At first I didn't think that I liked this book or more precisely where it was going. Definitely a book worth reading to the end. Satisfying ending although the over all setting is less than believable the characters are very believable. Still has me thinking of the characters and their problems--and that takes a lot for me.

This World We Live In by  Susan Beth Pfeffer
Wow, I didn’t think she could do it again but Susan Beth Pfeffer did.  This book, This World We Live In, was hauntingly good.  I started it and couldn’t put it down.  Similar to the first, the protagonist Miranda Evan is back.  Set about6-12 months after the moon has been hit by a meteor and has caused the Earth uncontrollable climatic trouble.  The book picks back up with Miranda and her family.  This time the family is expanding and the troubles are too. Although it is a third in a series this book could be read as a “stand-a-lone”book.   It has a logical progression of events, which is frightening too.  Just when the reader thinks that the story can’t keep up the action pace it does.  I like how the characters in the second book were inter-woven into the fabric of this book too. I think mature readers can handle the topic along with the lightly mention topics of teen love and intimacy. I dearly hope that this is not the last book in this series. The author had me wanting to stock my shelves and lay in the supplies for this Dystopian future. Great read.

In case it wasn't obvious from the review the last book This World We Live In was my favorite!  I will keep trying to write my reviews both here and at Shelfari. 

No comments: