Friday, February 11, 2011

Lastest reads

All righty then, again it has been awhile since I have posted.  Today some books I have read:

The Clearing by Heather Davis
I finished this one last nigh as an ebook from NetGalley.  I don't know.  I had mixed reviews. Great premise, good storyline, good characters.  I think perhaps it needed more pages to flush out the story.  It seemed to be rushed.  It seemed more like a movie script then a novel. I wanted more depth.

Of course my MUST read selections for this year is the Hunger Games Series.  Absolutely my favorite. Loved it.

Mike Lupica has a new and unusal genre out, super hero.  His new book Hero is about a teen that finds out he is a destined superhero.  I have enjoyed his sports books so I thought I would give this one a try and it was a good one.  Although geared for the middle school years, there is nothing offensive in this book for those in upper elementary.

Cloaked in Red by Vivian Vande Velde was a nice light read.  A series of fairytale rewrites that were very entertaining. I recommend this one if you don't want to get embroiled in a book but want something on hand to read.


SkippyJon Jones series by Judith Byron Schachner is an old but good series for read-a-loud.  Gotta work on my Spanish accent and pronunciation though. :)  Love it for my lower grades, K-3, but believe it or not even the older grades get a laugh.


Wildthorn by Jane Eagland was a great surprise on many levels.  The story was superb.  Written about a time when outspoken women could be put in an asylum.  I had to finish every word.  Really great book that made me think.  Definitely a high school and up YA book due to situations portrayed in the book. Makes you think.

No comments: